Black Bean Sauce for Pan-fried Salmon
Cooking time: About 3 hours
Prep time: About 15 minutes
Makes: 2 servings
Ingredients for Sauce
- 1/4 cup washed black beans
- 1 t. minced garlic
- 1 T. mild olive oil
- 1/4 t. ground ginger
- 1/4 t. Cajun chili pepper seasoning
- 1 t. caramel fish sauce
- 1 t. oyster sauce
- 1 t. soy sauce
- 1 t. brown sugar
- 6 T. water
- 2 T. dry white wine
- 1/4 t. corn starch
- 1/4 t. sesame oil
Directions for Sauce
- Pick over black beans and wash several times. Put in hot water and soak 1 hour. Drain.
- Add more water and simmer 1 1/2 hours. Drain and rinse.
- Mash together the beans, garlic, ginger and olive oil.
- Cook over medium heat 2 minutes in small sauce pan, stirring often.
- Add wine and simmer 2 minutes, stirring often.
- Add 4 T. water, oyster sauce, caramel fish sauce, soy sauce, Cajun seasoning and sugar. Simmer 5 minutes, mixing occasionally.
- Mix corn starch with 2 T. cold water. Blend into bean sauce and simmer 1 minute.
- Add sesame oil, blend, and serve over Pan-fried salmon.
Modified from recipe in November 28, 2002 San Francisco Chronicle.
Also good served over rice or over grilled steak.
Up a Level Return to Home Page