Kofta Kebab with Tomato Sauce
Cooking time: About 15 minutes
Prep time: About 45 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
- 16 oz. lean ground beef
- 1/3 c. minced red onion
- 1/3 c. minced Italian parsley
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 slices of bread
- 1 T. paprika
- 1 T. ground cumin
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 t. ground pepper
- 1 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 8 oz. canned diced tomatoes
Directions for Kofte Kebabs
- Soak bread briefly in water. Drain and squeeze out excess water.
- In a large bowl, mix bread, meat, onion, garlic, parsley, eggs, paprika, cumin and pepper.
- Knead mixture with your hands about 2 minutes. Form into a ball, cover, and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Later, divide meat into 4 portions. Form each portion into sausage-shape.
- Lay sausages on aluminum foil on top level of your broiler (or place on skewers to barbeque).
- Broil about 5 minutes. Rotate kofte 1/3 turn and broil another 5 minutes. Repeat for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from skewers (if used) and serve on warm plates. Spoon tomato sauce around the koftas and top with yogurt-garlic sauce.
Directions for Tomato Sauce
- Drain and discard liquid from canned diced tomatos.
- Heat 1 T. olive oil in sauce pan and saute tomatoes 1 minute.
- Mash tomatoes with potato masher and keep warm.
These kebabs are excellent served with Afghani borani kadoo (pumpkin).
Modified from recipe for "Yogurtlu Kebab" in "The Sultan's Kitchen" by Özcan Ozan, 1998.
Up a Level Return to Home Page