Pumpkin Sauteed with Onion (Afghani Borani Kadoo)
Prep time: About 15 minutes
Cooking time: About 1 hour
Makes: 8 servings
- 2 lbs pumpkin, peeled.
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced and minced
- 3 T. mild olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 T. ketsup
- 2 t. turmeric
- 1 t. ground ginger
- 2 T. sugar
- 12 deli-sliced jalapeño peppers, minced
- 2 bouillon cubes
- 4 cups water
- Cut pumpkin into 1/2 by 1 inch pieces.
- Boil 2 cups of water in 14-inch skillet and simmer pumpkin 15 minutes. Drain.
- Clean and reheat skillet. Add olive oil, onions and garlic. Simmer 10 minutes.
- Add ketsup, turmeric, ginger, sugar, peppers, bouillon and 2 cups water. Boil 10 minutes.
- Stir pumpkin pieces into sauce and simmer, covered, 10 minutes.
- Stir pumpkin so all surfaces cook in the sauce. Simmer, covered, another 10 minutes.
- Stir again and simmer, covered, another 10 minutes or until pumpkin pieces are only slightly crunchy.
- Serve with yogurt-garlic sauce and warm pita bread (or tortillas or naan).
Adapted from a recipe in the San Francisco Chronicle, 11/5/08, p. F5.
Up a Level Return to Home Page