Cooking time: About 1 hour
Prep time: About 20 minutes
Makes: 6 - 8 servings
- 1/2 loaf day-old French bread, sliced
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1 crook-neck squash, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 4 drops Tabasco sauce
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/4 t. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cup grated provolone cheese
- Butter bread and cut into 1-inch cubes. (I use vegetable oil spread).
- Heat olive oil in a wok. Saute onion, peppers, squash, mushrooms and garlic 7 minutes.
- In a medium-sized bowl, beat the eggs. Mix in milk, salt, pepper, and Tabasco sauce.
- Lightly spray an 8 x 11 1/2 inch baking pan with cooking spray. Add bread cubes.
- Distribute the sauteed vegetables over the bread cubes and top with 1/2 of the cheese.
- Pour egg mixture over bread cubes and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake uncovered in a preheated oven at 350 deg. F. for 50 minutes.
- Cool, cut into squares, and serve.
Can be a side dish or a great vegetarian entree.
Modified from a recipe in "The Big Book of Breakfast" by Maryana Vollstedt.
Up a Level Return to Home Page