Scalloped Potatoes with Ham
Prep time: About 15 minutes
Cooking time: About 1 hour
Makes: 2 servings
- 2 T. mild olive oil
- 1 large russet potato, thinly sliced
- 2 mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 4 oz. ham, diced
- 2 T. flour
- 1 1/2 cup milk, low fat or non-fat
- 2 T. grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 oz. thinly sliced (or grated) swiss cheese
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- Heat oil a in skillet and saute onions and mushrooms 5 minutes.
- Add flour and diced ham. Stir and cook another 5 minutes.
- Add milk and heat to simmer 3 minutes until it starts to thicken. Add nutmeg.
- Coat bottom and sides of a 1 qt. Pyrex baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cover bottom with a layer of potato slices.
- Next add the swiss cheese.
- Add another layer of potato slices.
- Pour on the onion/ham/milk mixture.
- Add remaining potato slices.
- Push the top layer down into the milk. Add more milk if needed to just cover potatoes.
- Top with Parmesan cheese.
- Salt and pepper to taste. (No salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper works for me).
- Bake uncovered about 45 minutes in 350 deg. oven.
Up a Level Return to Home Page