Quince Paste (Membrillo)
Cooking time: About 4 hours
Prep time: About 10 minutes
Makes: 3 pints of paste
- 2 lb. quince
- 1 lemon
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- 4 cups sugar
- Squeeze juice from the lemon. Reserve juice and rind separately.
- Peel, core and chop quince.
- Boil 2 quarts of water in a pan.
- Add chopped quince, lemon rind and vanilla. Simmer 45 minutes.
- Drain water and puree quince mixture in a blender. Measure amount of paste.
- Mix paste in a pan with an equal volume of sugar. Heat, with stirring, until sugar dissolves.
- Add lemon juice and simmer 1 hour or until paste turns pink-orange.
- Spray cooking oil in 10 x 15 inch baking pan. Spread paste evenly in pan.
- Bake in oven 2 hours at low setting ( 200 - 250 deg. F) to dry paste.
- Put cooled paste into three 1-quart plastic baggies, press flat, and freeze.
Quince paste is delicious spread thinly on very thin slices of Manchego or other dry cheese.
It is also good used as a jam or as a filling for fruit tarts.
Modified from a recipe found on simplyrecipes.com
Up a Level Return to Home Page