Baked Paella for Party of 36
Cooking time: About 2 hours
Prep time: About 2 hours
Makes: 30 - 36 servings
- 1 gal. chicken stock
- 1 1/2 t. crushed saffron
- 4 t. paprika
- 16 c. rice
- 7 lb. chicken thighs
- 6 T. mild olive oil
- 3 lb. linguisa sausage, sliced
- 2 lb. cooked, deveined, tail-less shrimp (thawed)
- 4 large yellow onions, cut into 1" pieces
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 bell peppers, cut into 1" pieces
- 1 gal. canned chopped tomatoes
- 8 bay leaf
- 3 T. crushed oregano
- 3 lb. frozen peas, thawed
- 4 T. mild olive oil
- 18 qt. stock pot
- 3 Full-size (12 x 20") steamtable containers
- 1 large wok (14") or frying pan
- Heat chicken stock to boil in 18 qt. stock pot. (Takes 15-20 minutes to boil).
- Add rice, saffron, and paprika. Cover. Simmer at lowest heat 15 minutes.
- Wash chicken thighs and pat dry. Cut each into halves.
- Coat one steamtable container with cooking spray. Add chicken in single layer. Salt and pepper. Bake 1 hour at 350 deg.
- Brown sausage 10 minutes in wok. Remove and clean wok.
- Reheat wok and add olive oil. Stir-fry onion, garlic, and bell pepper 5 minutes.
- Add to the cooked rice, along with tomatoes, remaining seasonings, peas, and sausage. Mix.
- Spread 1/2 of rice mixture in each of two steamtable containers.
- On top of the rice, arrange the chicken and shrimp. Bake 30 minutes at 350 deg.
Up a Level Return to Home Page