Cooking time: About 10 minutes
Prep time: About 20 minutes
Makes: 3 or 4 servings
- 1/2 lb. dried rice noodles, preferably about 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 lb. firm tofu, rinsed
- 1 c. chicken broth
- 3 T. fish sauce
- 3 T. catsup
- 2 T. lime juice (from 2 limes)
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 2 T. sugar
- 1/4 t. cayenne pepper
- 1 T. mild olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 6 oz. lean boneless chicken breast, thinly sliced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 6 green onions, ends trimmed, cut into 2" strips
- 3/4 lb. bean sprouts, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 c. minced peanuts
- 1/4 c. fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 c. finely shredded carrots
- Soak noodles in hot (not boiling) water (covered) until pliable, 10 to 20 minutes. Drain well.
- Cut tofu into 1/2 inch-thick slices. Drain well between paper towels. Then cut tofu into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Mix broth, fish sauce, catsup, lime juice, sugar, and cayenne pepper.
- Add 1T. oil to a hot wok and swirl it to coat pan. Add tofu. Stir often until browned, about 5 minutes. Lift out tofu with a slotted spoon.
- Add garlic and chicken. Stir-fry about 2 minutes, until meat is lightly browned. Push mixture to side of pan and add beaten egg to empty space. Cook until egg begins to firm, then stir to break apart. Add broth mixture, tofu, and drained noodles. Stir-fry 2-3 minutes, until noodles are hot. Add onions and 1/2 the bean sprouts. Stir and mix about 30 seconds, until sprouts barely wilt.
- Spoon noodle mixture equally onto plates, and top with peanuts and cilantro leaves. Next to the noodles, mound equal portions of remaining bean sprouts, carrot and lime wedges.
Up a Level Return to Home Page