Cooking time: 12 minutes
Prep time: About 10 minutes
Makes: 1 1/2 cups
- 1/4 cup hulled sesame seeds
- 1 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 15 oz. can of garbanzo beans
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 t. minced garlic
- 1/2 t. Creole seasoning (e.g. Tony Chachere's)
- 1/4 t. ground cumin
Directions for Tahini
- Heat sesame seeds in skillet at moderate heat.
- Stir constantly about 5 minutes until seeds are brown but not burnt. Cool.
- Add olive oil and use immersion blender to make a smooth paste.
Directions for Hummus
- Drain and save liquid from garbanzo beans.
- Pour lemon juice, chopped garlic and seasoning into food blender.
- Turn on blender and slowly add garbanzo beans. Stop periodically to push beans down.
- Add in about 1/2 cup of juice drained from beans to get smooth consistency.
- Blend in 1/2 of the tahini. Save the rest for another recipe. It can be frozen.
Good served as a dip with chips or raw vegetables. Also good spread on crackers or pita bread.
Up a Level Return to Home Page