Cooking time: 30 minutes
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Makes: 2 servings
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1/2 cup long-grain rice
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 T. ketchup (or tomato sauce)
- 2 T. diced jalapenos
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Wash rice until the water runs clear. Drain and completely dry the rice.
- Heat oil and stir-fry rice 8 minutes, stirring constantly to avoid burning.
- Add onions, garlic and carrots and stir-fry another 5 minutes.
- Add broth and heat to boiling.
- Add peas, ketchup and peppers. Cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Let the rice stand, covered 5 minutes. Stir and serve.
Recipe based on one from "The Mexican Mama's Kitchen" by Sofia Larrinua-Craxton, 2005
Up a Level Return to Home Page