Cooking time: 45 minutes
Prep time: 15 minutes
Makes: 6 servings
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1/2 c. diced onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 T. chili powder
- 1 T. cumin
- 1 t. Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning
- 2 T. Caramelized Fish Sauce (or 1 T. sugar & 1 T. fish sauce)
- 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1/2 c. water
- Heat olive oil and saute onions 5 minutes. Add garlic and saute 2 more minutes.
- Add ground beef, break up any clumps and saute 5 minutes.
- Stir in chili powder, cumin, Creole seasoning and carmelized fish sauce. Saute and stir 3 minutes.
- Mix in ketchup, diced tomatoes and tomato sauce. Cover and simmer 20 minutes. Add water if too thick.
- Serve over cooked rice. Top with chopped green onions or shredded cheese if desired.
Freezes well. Each serving contains 495 mg potassium.
If you're not on a low potassium diet, add a 15 oz. can of red kidney beans, drained and rinsed.
Up a Level Return to Home Page