Linda's Lemon Lentil Soup
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
- 3 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 T. tomato paste (or ketchup)
- 1 1/2 T. curry powder
- 1 t. ground cumin
- 1/2 t. Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed and cleaned
- 6 cups water
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes (or 2 ramen soup flavor packs)
- 1 cup chopped carrots (1 large carrot)
- 1 lemon, (juice from)
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- Heat oil in 2-quart soup pan. Saute garlic and chopped onions 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste, cumin, Creole seasoning, black pepper curry powder. Saute 2 minutes.
- Add water, bouillon cubes, lentils and carrots. Simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in lemon juice and chopped cilantro and serve.
Version of recipe from a friend, Linda Magoosian, who modified a NY Times recipe.
Up a Level Return to Home Page