Ethiopian Red Lentil Stew (Misr Wot)
Cooking time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Makes: 4 serving
- 1 c. red lentils, washed and drained.
- 4 T. olive oil
- 1 c. finely chopped yellow onion (about 4 - 5 oz.)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
- 4 - 6 t. berbere
- 1 c. broth
- 1 14 oz. can of diced tomatoes.
- 1 c. water
- Heat olive oil in a soup pot and saute onion 10 minutes or until golden, stirring frequently.
- Add garlic and saute 1 minute.
- Add lentils, tomatoes, broth, water and 3 t. berbere, and simmer 45 minutes.
- Stir in 1 - 3 more teaspoons of berbere depending on desired spiciness.
Based on a recipe from Oaktown Spice Shop, Albany, CA
You can also dilute this stew to make a good soup. Top with a dollop of plain Greek yogurt
Up a Level Return to Home Page