Eggplant Rolls with Walnut Paste (Georgian nigvziani badrijani)
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Makes: 20 - 24 rolls
- 1 lb. chinese eggplant (2 large ones - 12 inches long)
- 4 oz. walnuts
- 1/2 t. dried fenugreek
- 1/2 t. ground coriander
- 1/2 t. paprika
- 1/2 t. turmeric
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1 1/2 t. white wine venegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 cloves garlic
- Cut eggplants lengthwise in strips, 2 - 3 mm thick.
- If eggplants are quite long, cut strips 6 - 8 inches long.
- Lightly salt both sides of strips and let sit 15 minutes.
- Squeeze strips and rinse off salty water.
- Drizzle oil in large skillet. Fry on medium heat 5 minutes.
- Turn eggplant strips and fry another 5 minutes. They are done when soft and easy to pierce.
- meanwhile, spread walnuts in single layer on baking sheet and bake 20 minutes at 350 deg.F. Let cool.
- Puree cooled walnuts, vinegar, garlic and spices to make a paste.
- Add water and oil if needed to make paste spreadable, like peanut butter.
- Spread paste halfway along one side of each strip of eggplant.
- Roll up each strip or fold over once so paste is inside eggplant.
Based on recipes enjoyed in Georgia.
Optionally, you can top with chopped cilantro or dill and pomegranete seeds.
Up a Level Return to Home Page