Soaking time: About 1 hour
Cooking time: About 75 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
- 1 1/2 cups dried yellow peas
- 14 oz. can of diced tomatoes
- 2 c. water
- 2 c. red onion, minced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 T. mild olive oil
- 1 t. ground coriander
- 1 t. turmeric
- 1 t. Creole seasoning (Tony Chachere's)
- 1 T. dried cilantro
- Soak peas in 3 cups water for 1 hour. Drain.
- Put peas and tomatoes (with liquid) in 2 cups water. Simmer 1 hour.
- While the peas simmer, use a food chopper to finely mince the onions and garlic.
- Saute onion and garlic in olive oil 10 minutes.
- Add coriander, turmeric, cilantro and Creole seasoning. Saute 5 more minutes.
- Stir onion mixture in with pea/tomato and serve over cooked rice.
- Based on recipe in "5 Spices, 50 Dishes" by Ruta Kahate
Up a Level Return to Home Page