Brussel Sprout Salad with Bulgar Wheat
Cooking time: About 30 minutes
Prep time: About 10 minutes
Waiting time: 30 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
- 4 T. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup bulgar wheat
- 1 t. dry mustard
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 8 oz. brussel sprouts, thinly sliced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup bacon bits or three strips of fried bacon (crumbled)
- 1/4 t. fresh-ground black pepper
- 1 oz. shaved and crumbled Manchego cheese
- 4 hard boiled eggs, sliced
- Heat 2 T. oil in sauce pan and saute yellow onions 5 minutes.
- Add bulgar wheat and saute 5 minutes more.
- Add 2 cups water, cover and simmer 20 minutes on low heat. Let cool.
- Put mustard in a lidded jar. Add lemon juice, pepper and 2 T oil. Shake well.
- Toss all ingredients and let stand 30 minutes before serving.
Inspired by a recipe in the 1/15/17 San Francisco Chronicle,
Up a Level Return to Home Page