Cooking time: 10 minutes per serving
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Makes: 8 servings
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 oz. melted butter (1 stick)
- 4 oz. light olive oil
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 35 oz. all-purpose wheat flour
- 1 T. baking powder
- Blend egg, oil, yogurt and butter in a large mixing bowl.
- Add flour, sugar and baking powder and blend.
- Knead to make a smooth dough and divide into eight balls.
- Flatten each ball into an eight-inch disk like a thick tortilla.
- Freeze any extra dough to be thawed later.
- Cook one disk at a time in a skillet at low heat, 5 minutes on a side.
- The arepas should be toasted on the outside and somewhat creamy inside.
Eat as a breakfast roll or as a semi sweet donut-like pastry.
Recipe learned from a Costa Rican environmental group,
the Sarapiqui Conservation and Learning Center.
Up a Level Return to Home Page