Tuscan Minestrone with Lentils
Cooking time: 1 1/2 hours
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Makes: 8 servings
- 1 T. mild olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 t. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 qt. water
- 1 1/4 qt. canned chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cup washed lentils
- 1 leek (white part), sliced
- 3 large carrots, sliced
- 3 celery stalks (with leaves), sliced
- 2 potatoes, cubed
- 1 cup green beans, sliced
- 12 oz. can of tomato sauce
- 1 T. dried Italian seasoning, crushed
- 1/2 t. Cajun red pepper seasoning
- 2 zuccini, coarsely chopped
- 14 oz. can of kidney beans, drained
- 14 oz. can of stewed tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup orzo
- 10 oz. package frozen spinach, thawed and drained
Recipe modified from one received 4/29/2001 from Arlene Morgan.
- Heat oil in a 6-quart soup pot. Saute garlic, onion, red pepper flakes and bay leaf 5 minutes.
- Add water, chicken stock and lentils. Simmer 30 minutes.
- Add leek, carrots, celery, potatoes, green beans, tomato sauce, Italian and Cajun seasonings. Simmer 30 minutes.
- Add zucchini, kidney beans and stewed tomatoes and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add orzo and spinach and simmer 15 minutes.
Up a Level Return to Home Page