Turkish Meatballs (Köfte) With Tomato Sauce
Prep time: About 20 minutes
Cooking time: About 20 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
- 1 lb. ground beef (85 - 90% lean)
- 1/4 cup minced yellow onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3/8 t. ground allspice
- 3/4 t. paprika
- 3/4 t. ground cumin
- 1/4 t. ground pepper
- 1 T. dried parsley (or 3T. fresh parsley, chopped)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 T. mild olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups plain tomato sauce
- Thoroughly combine the beef, onion, garlic, spices, pepper and parsley in a mixing bowl.
Squishing the mixture with your hands for about 2 minutes will suffice.
- Pull off walnut-sized portions and roll into balls. Makes about 20.
- Roll the meatballs in flour to coat them uniformly.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet and brown meatballs about 8 minutes, turning often to brown all sides.
- Just before serving, heat tomato sauce and water in a large skillet. Add meatballs and simmer 10 minutes.
- Excellent served with Smoky Eggplant Puree (Hunkar Begendi) and rice.
Adapted from a recipe in the Jan. 12, 2006 San Francisco Chronicle.
Up a Level Return to Home Page