Cooking time: About 30 minutes
Prep time: About 20 minutes
Makes: 2 servings
Ingredients for Creamed Tuna
- 1 T. mild olive oil
- 1 T. flour
- 1/4 cup chopped onions
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 6 oz. can of tuna, drained
Ingredients for Sopes
- 1 cup masa harina (corn tortilla flour)
- 1/2 t. baking powder
- 1/4 t. salt
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 2 t. mild olive oil
Directions for Creamed Tuna Filling
- Heat olive oil in pan. Add flour and stir continuously 5 minutes on medium heat.
Stop when flour is caramel color. Don't let it burn.
- Add chopped onions and saute 5 minutes.
- Add milk and cook 5 minutes with stirring to thicken.
- Gently blend in drained tuna, breaking it into chunks.
Directions for Sopes
- Blend masa, baking powder and salt in a small bowl. Mix in hot water.
- Let cool 5 minutes. Mix until a ball forms.
- Coat a baking pan with olive oil.
- Separate dough ball into four portions. Form into 1/8" thick disks.
- Place disks on baking sheet. Form 1/4" high rims on edge of disks.
- Bake in 350 deg.F oven 10 minutes.
- Fill the 4 sopes with creamed tuna mix.
- Bake another 10 minutes.
A combination of a sopes recipe from the Internet and a tuna casserole recipe from "Joy of Cooking".
The sopes are also good filled with pulled pork.
Up a Level Return to Home Page