Tossed Green Salad
Prep time: About 15 minutes
Makes: 6 - 8 servings
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 crisp apple (Gravenstein or Pippin)
- 3 T. lemon juice
- 1/2 head Romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cucumber, thinly sliced.
- 1/2 cup carrots, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced and chopped red onion
- 1 cup chopped ripe tomatoes
- 3 T. Ranch-style salad dressing
- Cut the avocado in half. Twist off one half. Chop a knife into the pit and twist it out.
- Holding each avocado half in your hand, score with a dinner knife and scoop out.
- Core and chop apple.
- Put avocado, chopped apple and lemon juice in a bowl and mix. Let marinade 10 minutes.
- Wash lettuce. Let drip dry (or spin). Tear into pieces into large salad bowl.
- Arrange overlapping cucumber slices on top of lettuce around outside edge.
- Arrange carrots in a ring just inside cucumbers.
- Sprinkle red onions on cucumbers and carrots.
- Arrange the avocado/apple mixture in a ring inside the carrots.
- Chop tomatoes and pile in the center.
- Just before serving, dress with salad dressing and toss.
Tried this salad on friends at a dinner party, with good results.
Up a Level Return to Home Page