Pork Stew with Tomatillos
Prep time: About 15 minutes
Cooking time: About 1 hour
Makes: 5 - 6 servings
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 T. "tamed" jalapeno peppers, diced
- 2 T. mild olive oil
- 20 oz. lean pork tenderloin, cut into 3/4" cubes
- 2 T. flour
- 3/4 t. dried oregano
- 1/2 t. dried thyme
- 1/4 t. chili powder
- 1/4 t. red pepper flakes, minced
- 12 oz. can of whole tomatillos, drained and chopped
- 14 oz. can of diced tomatoes
- 1/2 t. chicken soup base (or bouillon)
- 1/2 c. water
- 2 t. lemon or lime juice
- 6 T. plain yogurt (or sour cream)
- Heat oil in a wok or heavy skillet. Saute onion, garlic & jalapenos 3 minutes.
- Add pork and saute 5 minutes to brown.
- Stir in flour and herbs. Cook 2 more minutes.
- Add water, soup base, tomatoes and tomatillos. Cover and simmer 45 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice and serve over steamed rice. Top each serving with 1 T. yogurt.
Modified from a recipe received 6/6/07 from Kirsten Cozzitorti.
Up a Level Return to Home Page