Sweet and Sour Shrimp Stir-fry
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Prep time: About 10 minutes
Makes: 2 servings
- 6 oz. deveined, cooked shrimp (thawed if frozen)
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1/2 bell pepper, sliced
- 4 green onions, cut in 2-inch lengths.
- 1 t. minced garlic
- 1 celery stalk chopped
- 1 crisp apple (like Gravenstein), chopped
Ingredients for Sweet & Sour Sauce
- 2 t. corn starch
- 2 t. cold water
- 1/2 cup chicken bouillon
- 1 T. dry sherry
- 2 t. low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 T. ketchup
- 1 T. vinegar (rice or cider)
- 1 T. granulated sugar
- Put corn starch and cold water into an 8 oz. glass bottle that has a lid.
- Seal and shake vigorously to blend.
- Add bouillon, sherry, soy sauce, ketchup, vinegar and sugar.
- Reseal and shake vigorously to blend sauce. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a wok or heavy skillet.
- Add bell pepper and celery. Stir fry 3 minutes.
- Add garlic, apple and green onions. Stir fry 2 minutes.
- Pour in sweet and sour sauce, cover and simmer 3 minutes.
- Add shrimp, stir and simmer for 2 more minutes. Add more water if the sauce is too think.
- Serve over steamed rice.
Adapted from a recipe from Ken Hom's "Chinese Cookery", Harper & Row, 1984 p. 132
Up a Level Return to Home Page