Stuffed Bell Pepper with Pine Nuts
Prep time: About 30 minutes
Cooking time: About 1 hour
Makes: 2 servings
- 1 large bell pepper
- 1 T. mild olive oil
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 T. diced mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 t. turmeric
- 1/2 cup long-grain white rice
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 t. chicken base (e.g. Minor's), or bouillon
- 1.5 cups water
- 1 T. chopped mint leaves (about 10 leaves)
- 1 oz. thinly diced Swiss cheese
- Heat oil in heavy pan. Saute onions, mushrooms and garlic 5 minutes.
- Stir in turmeric and saute 2 minutes. Stir in uncooked rice and heat for 3 minutes.
- Add chicken base and 1 cup water. Cover and simmer 10 minutes. Let stand, still covered, another 10 minutes.
- Spread pine nuts in single layer on cookie sheet. Bake 12 minutes in 300 deg. oven.
- Carefully cut pepper lengthwise through the stem. Leave the stem intact. Remove seeds. Steam pepper halves 8 - 10 minutes.
- Cool rice in a large bowl. Stir in toasted pine nuts, cheese, and chopped mint. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Put steamed peppers in snugly fitting baking dish and fill with rice mixture. Mound any excess on top of peppers.
- Pour 1/2 cup water into bottom of baking dish. Loosely cover with aluminum foil and bake 35 minutes in 350 deg. oven.
Modified from a recipe in "Joy of Cooking", 1997, p. 404
Up a Level Return to Home Page