Strata with Spinach and Shrimp
Prep time: About 25 minutes
Cooking time: About 50 minutes
Makes: 3 - 4 servings
- 2 T. olive oil
- 2 cups cooked shrimp, thawed and chopped into chunks
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 4 cups bread, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 5 eggs, blended
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1 10 oz package frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 t. ground black pepper
- 1/8 t. ground nutmeg
- Heat olive oil in a wok or heavy skillet.
- Saute onions and saute 4 minutes.
- Add minced garlic and drained spinach. Saute 2 minutes more.
- Spray 2 quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Spread 1/2 of bread cubes in the bottom.
- Top with 1/2 of spinach/onion mixture. Top with shrimp.
- Then add half of Parmesan cheese.
- Add remainder of spinach and bread and finally top with cheese.
- Blend eggs, milk, nutmeg and pepper in a bowl.
- Pour milk/egg mixture over top of bread in baking dish. Push bread down to contact with milk.
- Refrigerate, covered, for at least 2 hours so the milk/egg will soak into the bread.
- Bake, uncovered, in 350 deg. F oven for 40 minutes or until cooked through and the top is brown.
- Let rest for 5 minutes and serve.
Based on several recipes from the Internet.
I served it for a simple Thanksgiving dinner.
It's also good with diced cooked ham or fried bacon or pancetta.
If frying, do that first, and save 2 T. of grease to fry onions in place of olive oil.
Up a Level Return to Home Page