Spiced Rice Salad
Cooking time: About 30 minutes
Prep time: About 1 hour
Makes: 12 servings
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1/2 cup almonds or pine nuts
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 medium red onion, finely diced
- 1 bell pepper, finely diced
- 2 lemons, zest from
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 t. salt
- 3/4 t. cumin
- 2 T. rice vinegar
- 6 T. mild olive oil
- 2 lemons, juice from
- Boil water. Add rice and simmer on lowest heat 25 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Spread nuts on cookie sheet. Roast 12 minutes in 325 deg. F oven. Don't let them burn.
- Mix the dried fruit, lemon, celery, onion, cilantro and bell pepper with the cooked rice.
(You can prepare to this stage before it's time to serve.)
- Mix the dressing with the cooked rice.
- Mix in the nuts, avocado, and 1/2 of cilantro. Garnish with remaining cilantro.
Good served on a bed of lettuce with canned tuna and sliced tomatoes.
Based on a recipe supplied by Anne Jennings, August, 2003.
Up a Level Return to Home Page