Sausage and Sauerkraut
Cooking time: About 100 minutes
Prep time: About 10 minutes
Makes: 6 - 8 servings
- 2 T. mild olive oil
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 4 cups sauerkraut, drained
- 1 t. celery salt
- 1 T. caraway seeds
- 2 lb. sausage (I use chicken-apple)
- 12 oz. light-colored beer
- Heat olive oil in skillet or wok. Saute onions 5 minutes.
- Add sauerkraut, celery salt and caraway seeds to onions and saute 5 minutes.
- Coat 2 qt. casserole or Dutch oven with cooking spray and add sauerkraut/onion mixture.
- Cover the top of the sauerkraut with sausages, closely packed.
- Pour in beer and roast 1 hour, uncovered, at 300 deg. F
- Turn sausages and bake another 30 minutes to brown other side of sausages.
- Cut sausages into 2-3 oz. pieces, mix them into sauerkraut and serve with mustard.
Adapted from a recipe found on the Web.
Up a Level Return to Home Page