Caribbean Red Sauce
Cooking time: About 1 hour
Prep time: About 10 minutes
Makes: 12 oz.
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup mild olive oil
- 6 oz. tomato paste
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup water
- 8 mint leaves chopped
- 1/2 t. dried sweet basil
- 1/2 t. dried thyme
- 1/2 t. ground black pepper
- Heat 2 T. olive oil in a small sauce pan that has a tight cover (for use later).
- Add chopped yellow onions and garlic and saute 10 minutes.
- Add green onions, tomato paste, wine, and water. Simmer 10 minutes.
- Add mint leaves, basil, thyme, and pepper. Simmer 30 minutes.
- Gently pour rest of olive oil on top of sauce. Heat 10 minutes.
- Serve sauce over meat, fish or pasta by scooping it from below the layer of olive oil.
You can also use the flavored olive oil in cooking.
The sauce keeps well for days in the refrigerator if covered.
Loosely based on a recipe by Louis & Valerie Bynoe, owners of the "Breadfruit Tree" Restaurant in Stockton, California (Oct. 2003). Can be served over pasta, fried fish (like fillet of sole), chicken, or pork.
Up a Level Return to Home Page