Cooking time: About 25 minutes
Prep time: About 10 minutes
Makes: 2 servings
- 4 oz. cooked sausage (e.g. Chicken-apple)
- 1 T. mild olive oil
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 4 mushrooms, quartered
- 1/2 lb. eggplant, peeled and cut into 1" chunks
- 4 pita, about 7 inch in diameter
- 1 large tomato, thinly sliced and quartered
- 1/2 t. dried thyme
- 1/4 t. dried basil
- 2 oz. grated Mozzrella cheese (or two 1-oz packages of string cheese)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Slice sausage and fry in 1 t. olive oil 5 min. until hot. Remove sausage and discard excess fat.
- Add 2 t. olive oil to pan. Saute onions 5 minutes.
- Add crushed garlic and heat 2 minutes. Add eggplant and mushrooms. Saute 5 minutes until soft. Remove and discard garlic.
- Top 4 pita with sausage, onions, and finally with eggplant/mushroom mixture. Cover with tomato slices. Sprinkle with thyme and basil. Top with cheeses.
- Bake on cookie sheet 10 minutes in 400 deg.F oven.
Adapted from a recipe in Sept. 30, 2004 San Francisco Chronicle.
Up a Level Return to Home Page