Cooking time: About 50 minutes
Prep time: About 10 minutes
Makes: 2 servings
- 1 T. mild olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup shelled walnuts
- 8 oz. chicken sausage with apple, sliced
- 1 T. pomegranate juice (or sherry)
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds (if available)
- Spread walnuts on cookie sheet and bake 12 minutes in 350 deg.F oven.
- Cool walnuts, pour into food processor with 1 cup of water, and finely grind.
- Heat oil in wok or thick skillet. Saute onions 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add walnut/water mixture, raisins, and salt. Cover and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add water if the sauce gets thicker than gravy.
- Add diced squash and sliced sausage (or other cooked meat). Cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Serve over steamed basmati rice and top with pomegranate seeds.
Adapted from a more complex recipe for "Pomegranate Khoresh with Chicken or Duck" by Najmieh Batmanglij. It appeared in the 1/21/2004 San Francisco Chronicle.
Up a Level Return to Home Page