Cooking time: About 3 hours
Preparation time: About 30 minutes
Makes: 10 servings
- 1 1/2 cups dried lentils, rinsed and cleaned
- 3 cups diced ham
- 2 cups potatoes, diced
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 T. mild olive oil
- 1 cup chard (or celery), chopped
- 1/2 cup tomato puree (or catsup)
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 2 cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 4 beef bouillon cubes
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 t. ground black pepper
- 2 T. red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup green onion, diced
- Boil 6 cups of water. Add cleaned lentils, cover and turn off heat. Let sit 30 minutes.
- Saute yellow onion, potato, garlic, and ham in olive oil until onion is limp.
- Add to large pot everything but vinegar and green onion. Cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours.
- Add vinegar and salt to taste. Add some water if broth is too thick.
- Mash lentils, potatoes, and carrots in pot with potato masher.
- Add green onions and heat through.
Up a Level Return to Home Page