Red Lentil Soup with Mint
(Turkish Ezogelin Corbasi)
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Makes: 6 servings
- 3 T. mild olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 t. ground red cayenne pepper
- 2 t. paprika
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes (fresh or canned)
- 1 1/2 cups red lentils, thoroughly rinsed and cleaned
- 1/4 cups uncooked rice
- 6 cups water
- 1 T. dried mint (or 3 T. chopped fresh mint)
- Heat oil in a saucepan. Cook onion and garlic 2 minutes over medium heat.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes, paprika and red pepper.
- Add the lentils, rice and water (or stock). Cover and heat to a boil.
Lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes until the lentils are soft.
- Add the chopped mint and cook another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Adapted from recipe in "The Sultan's Kitchen" by Özcan Ozan, 1998.
Up a Level Return to Home Page