Red Lentil and Lime Soup
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Makes: 6 servings
- 2 cups red lentils, thoroughly rinsed and cleaned
- 2 qt. water
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 T. turmeric
- 1 T. ground cumin
- 1 t. ground coriander
- 1 t. creole red pepper seasoning
- 4 T. mild olive oil
- 1 1/2 t. Dijon mustard
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 3 limes, squeezed
- 1 carton frozen spinach, thawed
- 6 T. plain yogurt
- Boil water in soup pot and add lentils, turmeric, and 1 T. olive oil. Simmer 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile saute onions in 2 T. oil. After 5 minutes, add cumin, coriander, mustard, and red pepper. Saute another 10 minutes.
- Add chopped cilantro to onions and cook 1 minute.
- Saute thawed spinach 4 minutes in 1 T. oil.
- Use a potato masher to mash cooked lentils.
- Add onion mixture to mashed lentils and add juice of 3 limes.
- Divide spinach between 6 bowls, ladle in soup, and top each bowl with 1 T. yogurt.
Up a Level Return to Home Page