Lemon Lentil Soup
Cooking time: 1 hour
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Makes: 2 servings
- 3/4 cup red lentils, thoroughly rinsed and cleaned
- 4 cups water
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 large potato
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 T. mild olive oil
- 1 t. celery salt
- 1/4 t. coriander
- 4 oz. precooked chicken/apple sausage
- 1 lemon, squeezed
- 1 t. lemon zest
- 1/4 t. ground black pepper
- 1/4 t. cumin
- 8 mint leaves, chopped
- Boil water in 2-quart pot and add lentils, bouillon, and potato (cut into 1-inch cubes). Cook 45 minutes at a gentle boil.
- Meanwhile saute onions and garlic in olive oil. After 8 minutes, add celery salt and coriander. Saute another 2 minutes.
- Cut sausage into thin slices and brown 5-8 minutes.
- Mix the onion mix and sausages into soup.
- Stir in pepper, lemon juice and zest, cumin, and mint.
Modified from recipe in "Soup and Bread" by Julia Older and Steve Sherman, 1978.
Up a Level Return to Home Page