Tomato Sauce with Eggplant and Mushrooms
Cooking time: About 20 minutes
Prep time: About 5 minutes
Makes: 2-3 servings
- 2 T. mild olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 small Portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 eggplant, chopped into 1/2" pieces
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 14 oz. canned tomatoes
- 1/4 t. Cajun red pepper seasoning
- 1/4 t. dried oregano, crushed
- Saute onions, garlic, and mushrooms in 1 T of oil for 10 minutes.
- Add wine, pepper, and canned tomatoes to onions and simmer 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile saute eggplant in 1 T of oil in another pan for 6-8 minutes.
- Combine eggplant and tomato mixture, add oregano and heat 1 minute.
- Mix into cooked pasta and serve, topped with grated Romano cheese.
Adapted from recipe in 2/7/2001 San Francisco Chronicle.
Up a Level Return to Home Page