Drying time: 36 - 48 hours
Prep time: About 1 hour
Makes: 2 quarts
- 20 - 30 crisp apples (Gravenstein, Delicious, Pippins, etc.)
- 1 500-1000 mg tablet of vitamin C
- 2 qts water
- Mash vitamin C tablet and dissolve in water.
- Wash apples, quarter them, and cut out seeds. I don't peel them.
- Cut apples into uniform 1/4 - 3/8 inch slices. Drop into water.
- Grab a handfull of slices from the water, arrange in single layer on drying racks.
- Put racks in 85-90 deg. F oven.
- Should be ready in 36-48 hours. When done, the slices are still flexible but not moist.
- Cool and store in plastic bags. Will keep for at least 6-9 months.
The ascorbic acid in the vitamin C tablet keeps the apple slices from turning brown.
For drying racks I use 11 x 15 inch expanded aluminum racks.
These are sold in hardware stores to be used to grill vegetables and fish.
Up a Level Return to Home Page