Cajun Fish Chowder
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Makes: 2 servings
- 1 T. finely chopped bacon bits
- 1 cup chopped onion (1/2 medium onion)
- 1 mushroom, diced
- 3 T. mild olive oil
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 potato, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 t. Cajun seasoning (like Tony Chachere's)
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 2 T. flour
- 6 oz. Fish (like tilapia), cut into 3/4" chunks.
- Stir-fry bacon bits, onions, and mushroom in 1 T. olive oil 5 minutes.
- Add potato and red peppers, and stir-fry 5 minutes.
- Add bay leaf, bouillon, seasoning, and 2 cups water. Simmer 10 minutes (covered).
- Meanwhile make a roux by heating 2 T. oil and 2 T. flour in a sauce pan. Stir constantly about 5 minutes until the flour is mahogany colored, but not burned.
- Stir 1 cup water into the roux to make a sauce.
- Add roux and fish to the vegetables and simmer, covered 10 minutes.
Up a Level Return to Home Page