Butternut Squash Strata with Leeks and Mushrooms
Prep time: About 20 minutes
Cooking time: About 90 minutes
Makes: 8 servings
- 3 cups butternut squash, peeled and cut into 3/4" cubes.
- 1/2 t. black pepper
- 6 cups hearty bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 large leeks
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 12 oz. mushrooms, cremini or white, sliced
- 1 T. flour
- 5 T. mild olive oil
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 cup milk
- 1 t. dried thyme
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- Coat a cookie sheet with cooking spray. Mix squash, 1 T. olive oil and 1/4 t. pepper.
- Spread squash chunks in single layer and bake 30 minutes at 375. deg F, stirring twice.
- Spread bread cubes on a baking sheet and lightly toast.
- Using only the white and light green parts of the leeks, slit them lengthwise and carefully wash out dirt.
- Chop leeks and saute in 2 T. olive oil 8 minutes. Add garlic and saute 2 minutes. Add to squash.
- Fry mushrooms in remaining 2 T. olive oil at medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Mix together the toasted bread, leeks and mushrooms.
- Coat a 9x13-inch baking pan with cooking spray and pour in this mixture.
- Whisk together eggs, half-and-half, milk, 1/4 t. black pepper, thyme and parmesan cheese.
- Pour this egg mixture over the bread and let stand 10 minutes.
- Top with Swiss cheese and bake, uncovered, 30 - 35 minutes at 375 deg. F. until custard has set.
Can be made a day ahead and reheated 30 minutes at 375 deg. F. Can also be served cold.
Based on a recipe from the November, 2011 Sunset Magazine.
Up a Level Return to Home Page