Boxty (Irish potato pancake/bread)
Cooking time: About 45 minutes
Prep time: About 20 minutes
Makes: 8 - 10 servings
- 1 lb. russet potatoes
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/4 t. ground black pepper
- 2 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 2 cups flour
- 4 T. milk
- 2 eggs
- 4 T. mild olive oil
- Peel and grate russet potatoes.
- Boil a quart of water and boil potatoes 3 minutes.
- Pour potatoes into a strainer and rinse in running water. Squeeze dry.
- Mix the potatoes, salt, pepper and flour in a large bowl.
- Blend in the mashed potatoes.
- Beat the eggs, add the milk and blend into the mashed potatoes. Mix with your hands.
- Heat 2 T. olive oil in 11-inch skillet over a medium flame.
- Spoon about 4 - 5 portions of potato mixture into hot oil (2 T. each). Cook for 4 minutes. Turn and cook another 4 minutes until brown.
- Remove boxty and put on paper towels to remove excess oil.
- Repeat until all the mixture is cooked. Add oil as needed to keep a thin coating in the skillet.
- Serve warm.
I get about 18 patties from this recipe, cooking them 4 or 5 at a time. (This takes 40 minutes.)
Based on several boxty recipes from the Internet.
Up a Level Return to Home Page