Black Lentil Stew
Prep time: About 15 minutes
Cooking time: About 4 hours
Makes: 4 servings
- 2 T. mild olive oil
- 1 c. yellow onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 mushrooms, sliced
- 4 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 1/2 c. black lentils
- 6 oz. cooked chicken-apple sausage (sliced)
- 1 c. frozen sweet corn
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, and diced
- 5 c. water
- 1/2 t. Cajun pepper seasoning
- Rinse the lentils several times in water, and pick out any rocks, twigs, etc.
- Heat olive oil in a wok or large pan. Stir fry onions, garlic, and mushrooms 5 minutes.
- Add celery, apple, and corn and stir fry 5 minutes.
- Pour into a crock pot (or 1-gallon stew pot) along with lentil, water, and seasoning.
- Cook 3 - 4 hours on high setting of crock pot or 2 - 3 hours simmer in stew pot.
Based on a recipe from a package of Trader Joe's black lentils.
Up a Level Return to Home Page