Prep time: About 10 minutes
Cooking time: About 20 minutes
Makes: 8 servings
- 12 oz. raw potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 14 oz. elbow macaroni noodles
- 3 medium onions, sliced
- 8 oz. grated cheese, gruyere or Emmental
- 1/2 cup mild olive oil (or butter)
- Boil potatoes and macaroni in lightly salted water until al dente (about 15 minutes).
- Meanwhile saute onions in oil until golden. Set some aside which are a little more crisp for the topping.
- Drain macaroni and potatoes.
- Layer into a serving dish the macaroni and potatoes, grated cheese and onions.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, and add a little fresh milk and water (or maybe cream!) if it seems too dry.
- At the end sprinkle the remaining cheese and the crisp onion over the dish.
Serve with apple sauce or cooked apple slices on the side. It's not traditional but you can serve it with a mixed salad. (You can make this a main dish by adding some chopped ham.)
Recipe adapted from one donated by Jacqueline Tofte, Engelberg, Switzerland 9/30/1999
Up a Level Return to Home Page