Prep and heating time: About 15 minutes
Cooling time: About 1 hour
Fermenting time: 8 - 12 hours
Makes: 8 - 12 servings ( 4 pints)
- 1/2 gal. milk
- 1/2 cup active yogurt
- 1 T. sugar
- Put milk into a 2 quart sauce pan. Cover and heat to 180 - m185 deg. F.
- Let the milk cool to 110 - 115 deg. F.
- Mix the sugar and active yogurt. Blend into the cooled milk.
- Cover and leave 8 - 12 hours at 110 - 115 deg. F.
The pilot light in our gas stove maintains this temperature with the oven door closed.
- Yogurt keeps in the refrigerator for a week. Reserve some yogurt as the starter for the next batch.
Good topped with raisins, shaved roasted coconut, granola, chopped nuts, maple syrup or jam.
Greek yogurt (like Fage) works well as a starter. It contains live active yeast cultures:
Lactobacillus acidophilus, L. bulgaricus, L. case and Streptococcus thermophilis,
Based on a recipe from the Internet.
Up a Level Return to Home Page