Prep time: About 15 minutes
Cooking time: About 30 minutes
Makes: 6 - 8 servings
- 2 T. dried cranberries (or blue berries, raisins, etc.)
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 T. pine nuts
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 t. ground cinnamon
- 1 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 t. dried dill
- 3 T. dried parsley
- 1/4 t. Creole red pepper seasoning
- Soak the dried berries 20 minutes in 2 T. warm water.
- Heat oil in 2 quart sauce pan. Saute pine nuts 2 minutes with stirring until golden brown.
- Add onions, rice, cinnamon, 1 cup of hot water, and moistened berries.
- Stir, cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, dill, parsley, and Creole seasoning.
- Simmer 10 minutes to blend flavors.
Modified from recipe for "Zeytinyagli Biber Dolmasi" in "The Sultan's Kitchen" by Özcan Ozan, 1998.
Up a Level Return to Home Page