Sweet Potato Spinach Quiche
Prep time: About 20 minutes
Cooking time: About 1 hour
Makes: 4 servings
- 1 medium red sweet potato, peeled (about 1 lb.)
- 1 T. olive oil
- 8 oz. chopped spinach (thawed or fresh)
- 1/3 c. chopped yellow onions
- 4 large eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 c. milk
- 1/2 t. Cajun red pepper seasoning
- 2 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
- Thinly slice the sweet potato into 1/8-inch thick rounds with mandoline or knife.
- Coat a 9-inch pie pan with cooking spray.
- Arrange several layers of rounds on bottom of pan.
- Cut some rounds into half-circles and arrange them around the edges with the cut edges down.
- Bake this shell of sweet potato rounds in a preheated 350 def.F oven for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile saute the onions in oil 5 minutes. Add spinach and saute 5 more minutes. Cool.
- Whip together the eggs, egg whites, milk and Cajun seasoning in a bowl.
- Put the spinach/onion filling into the pie pan and pour egg mixture through the filling
- Top with crumbled feta cheese and bake 40 minutes in a preheated 375 deg.F oven. Cool 10 minutes, slice and serve.
My sweet potato supplied more rounds that would fit in my pie pan so I put a little olive oil on a cookie sheet, rubbed the extra rounds in it, and baked them along with the quiche 40 minutes, turning once.
Based on a recipe from the Internet by Rebecca Longshore October 25, 2016
Up a Level Return to Home Page