Prep time: About 15 minutes
Rising time: 2 1/2 hours
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Makes: 2 baguettes
- 1 cup Sourdough starter
- 1 t. yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1 T. mild olive oil
- 2 cups flour
- 1 T. corn meal
- Dissolve the yeast in the warm water
- Combine in a mixing bowl the starter, yeast, flour, salt and olive oil.
- Stir for 200 strokes to thoroughly blend the ingredients.
- Put mixture in an oiled bowl and cover with a damp dish towel.
- Let it rise about 1 1/2 hours until the dough doubles in size.
- Dust a clean surface with flour. Put the dough on it. Punch it down and let it rest 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into halves and roll each into a sausage shape about 18 inches long.
- I made a baguette pan from a 20-inch length of aluminum vent pipe. These pans are also available for about $20.
- Moisten the pan (or a cookie sheet) where the dough will be placed, and sprinkle the corn meal on the moist area.
- Place the sausage shapes on top of the corn meal coating, cover and let rise 1 hour.
- Bake 45 minutes in 350 deg. F oven until the crust is golden.
Up a Level Return to Home Page