Eggs Poached with Tomatoes (Tunisian Shakshuka)
Cooking time: About 25 minutes
Prep time: About 5 minutes.
Makes: 2 servings
- 1 T. mild olive oil
- 12 rings of deli-sliced jalapeño peppers, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 t. coriander
- 1 t. cumin
- 1 t. paprika
- 1 14 oz. can of diced tomatoes
- 4 slices of toasted bread
- 4 eggs
- Heat olive oil in a skillet and saute chopped chili peppers 5 minutes, with stirring.
- Add garlic and herbs. Cook, with stirring, 2 more minutes.
- Add can of tomatoes, with liquid. Cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Make 4 small depressions in cooked tomatoes. Gently crack an egg into each depression.
- Simmer, uncovered, about 3 minutes or until eggs are set but the yolks are still runny.
- Serve each egg on a piece of toast, topped with cooked tomatoes.
Inspired by a recipe in the Sept. 2009 issue of Sunset Magazine.
Up a Level Return to Home Page