Prep time: About 1 hour
Aging time: About 2 weeks
Makes: 16 servings
- 2 1/2 lb. cabbage (one head)
- 4 t. salt
- 1 1/2 t. caraway seeds (optional)
- Wash and drain cabbage. Reserve one outer leaf. Thinly shred the remainder.
- In a large bowl, mix the salt and shredded cabbage. Let sit 15 minutes.
- With your hands, knead and massage the cabbage 5 minutes to release liquid.
- Pack the cabbage tightly in a very clean 1-quart canning jar. Add any remaining liquid.
- Cut a round piece of the reserved cabbage leaf to just fit into the jar.
- Push this round piece of the reserved cabbage leaf down on top of the shredded cabbbage.
- Put a clean stone on top of the round piece to hold it down below the liquid level.
- If you don't have enough brine to cover the round leaf, make a brine of 1 t. salt per cup of water.
- Loosely cover jar and let sit at room temperature 2 weeks. Don't use a metal lid. The brine is corrosive.
- In two weeks, start using the sauerkraut. The remainder should keep for weeks, covered, in the refrigerator.
Based on a recipe from the Internet
Up a Level Return to Home Page