Plov (Uzbek pilaf)
Prep time: About 15 minutes
Cooking time: about 1 hour
Makes: 4 servings
- 4 T. olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced (2 cups)
- 1 large carrot (1 cup)
- 1 1/2 c. uncooked rice
- 2 bulbs of garlic
- 12 oz. cooked chicken sausage, cut in 1/4 inch slices
- 1 t. turmeric
- 1 t. cumin
- 1 1/2 t. paprika
- 1/2 t. black pepper or Cajun seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 c. broth
- Soak rice 15 minutes in water. Wash and drain.
- Cut carrot into 3-inch lengths. Then cut them into thin strips.
- Heat oil and saute onion 10 minutes. Add carrots and saute 5 minutes.
- Stir in spices and saute 2 minutes.
- Peel outer skin from garlic bulbs and cut them in half.
- Add rice, garlic and broth. Bring to boil. Then simmer, covered 15 minutes.
- Add cooked chicken sausage, stir, cover and simmer 15 minutes.
Based on a delicious dinner in Uzbekistan, April, 2018.
Up a Level Return to Home Page