Persimmon Buttermilk Pudding
Cooking time: About 40 minutes
Prep time: About 15 minutes
Makes: 8 - 12 servings
- 4 very ripe hachiya persimmons
- 4 eggs
- 2 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 4 T. butter (1/2 stick)
- 1 1/2 t. baking powder
- 1 1/2 t. baking soda
- 1/2 t. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 t. ground nutmeg
- 1/2 t. salt
- Scoop pulp out of persimmons, scrape it off the skins. Should be 1 1/2 cups of pulp.
- Puree pulp in a blender.
- Melt butter in a sauce pan. Mix in buttermilk and blend into pulp.
- Mix the dry components together and blend into pulp. Should be about 4 cups.
- Select baking dishes with a total of about 4 cups capacity (ramekins, baking dishes, etc.)
- Coat dishes with cooking spray. Pour pulp into dishes.
- Place dishes in 2 cooking pans, leaving space between dishes. Pour in 1/2 inch of boiling water.
- Carefully place cooking pans in 400 deg. F. oven and bake 40 minutes.
- Pudding is done when a toothpick stuck into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool and serve topped with buttermilk.
Based on recipe from Joy of Cooking, 1997, p. 1025
Up a Level Return to Home Page