Peleau Rice with Shrimp
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Prep time: About 20 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice
- 1 cup nuts (walnuts, almonds, cashews, peanuts, and/or pine nuts)
- 1 cup raisins
- 4 T. mild olive oil
- 4 cloves
- 1 stick of cinnamon, 2 inches long
- 6 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 t. turmeric powder
- 1 t. ground cumin
- 3 cups boiling water
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 bunch of cilantro, destemmed and chopped
- 24 cooked shrimp
- Rinse the rice several times until the water runs clear.
- Heat 3 T. olive oil in a wok. Add nuts, cumin, cloves and cinnamon. Stir-fry 2 minutes.
- Add sliced shallots and stir-fry 2 minutes.
- Add raisins and turmeric and stir-fry 1 minute.
- Add rinsed rice and stir. Add boiling water, stir, cover, and cook 8 minutes at medium heat.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 T. of olive oil in pan and brown chopped onion 10 minutes.
- Arrange cooked shrimp on top of rice, cover and cook 4 minutes.
- Serve rice peleau, topped with browned onions and chopped cilantro.
Can be made as a vegetarian dish, or with meat of your choice.
Modified from a recipe on the Internet: